Skip to main content

Reply to "Teaching your son to control his emotions in a ball game."

At that age a lot of kids are playing just because their parents make them. Also, some kids may enjoy playing baseball, just not to the extent where they really care about getting better. They just want to go out and have a good time. Your son however is in a completely different situation obviously. I can understand his frustration, but at the same time if he respects the game he needs to respect that fact that it is a team game and he should be supportive of his teammates at all times.

I would suggest that you move your son up to the 16U team because it sounds like he is the best player on his team now. I think he would appreciate the extra challenge of playing with older kids. Also, as kids get older, more and more of the kids who played just because their parents made them stop playing. This will put your son with many more like-minded kids.

Most of all, just keep reminding your son that his main focus should be to have fun while playing baseball. If he is getting so frustrated with his teammates that he is not having fun, then there is no point in playing.

Best of luck!