Skip to main content

Reply to "Teaching your son to control his emotions in a ball game."

I'm still a player, but there are a few emotions i learned to express and how to control. Some may be far removed because they don't completly remember what it is like to be a young man. we are big balls of emotion and passion. we have emotions and may not express them the right way; I have been guilty of this too but here are what i have found works.

With your team mates, there is a such a thing as peer coaching but you need to make it seem like it is you helping not being cynical. Like saying "hey dude this helped me, you should try!" is a lot different than " No No NO that is all wrong, do it this way"

Anger is all about manning up. It happened, it's not going to be the last time and complaining only takes time away from preparing to kick some butt the next time. your team mates weren't trying to make the error, they did though so pick them up and move on!

Cockyness is two things. It could be overcompensating for insecurities like others have said before or he can be that kind of guy. either way, give him a reality check and it will help him out.

The worst of all is giving up. I had to have a coach get in my face and scream at me until i was so ****ed off I could have punched in a locker. I went home that night and took a good hard lookhe mirror. He didn't give me any sympathy which is why i stopped that. If you cushion your son's ego he will see that giving up is an option but it isn't so don't coddle him.

I really think a lot of this will help if a parent talks i out and explains how important letting out his emotions in a safe and appropriate way is.

just my humble oppinion
Last edited by bigheat27-42