Skip to main content

Reply to "Team Chemistry"

PABaseball posted:

I don't really think team chemistry comes from team building exercises and team events. Not that it can't, but those always seem a bit forced. I think it comes more from hanging out after practice, going to eat, going to parties and swapping stories the next morning, complaining about a professor together, locker room conversations, etc. I also believe doing work that sucks together brings people closer as well. Hard physical training as you mentioned, lifts, 6am runs, getting dropped off in the middle of nowhere, etc it sucks but you are doing it together so you all have a mutual respect for each other. You can complain about the same things, make fun of the coach together, laugh about the same jokes. 

I don't think team chemistry is something worth asking about on visits. Even if the team has good chemistry, it is all based on personality. There will be a new wave of guys with different personalities each year and it will change the entire dynamic. FWIW there were a few kids on the fall roster who clearly did not click with the guys, many of which transferred after finals. Team chemistry is important, but that is something for the players to figure out more than something that needs to be manufactured by the coaching staff

In context of relationships chemistry is an emotion shared by 2 or more people.

How do you foster positive chemistry between the members of a team. Or how do you teach the members of the team to care for one another so that it translates into success?  

If your son, daughter, grandchild, etc. is being recruited from a bottom feeder, I certainly would want to know what the coaches are doing or not doing.  Or by anyone. You should have an understanding of how any particular coach goes about developing a winning team.

I guess that's why corporations spend bucko bucks to send their managers on retreats so that they can come back and foster those success skills onto their teams, as in the end it means success for the company.

This is not a new concept.  I just never thought about whether it was important or not while recruiting.

Last edited by TPM