Skip to main content

Reply to "Team Chemistry"

TPM posted:

Fair point made, but my point was that not every team comes from a P5 program, one of the reasons why it's important to understand the goals and objectives for the team and how that's achieved. How do you get guys to buy in? You don't have to be a fully funded program to achieve that goal. And yes, as I have always said, coaches recruit the best players that are a good fit for their program. 

Team leadership doesn't just happen. It starts at the top.  As stated above team chemistry begins with the coach's rules, rituals and expectations. Through team building skills, and then with the team choosing good captains, they can police themselves. But sometimes animosity develops. If the team hasn't been schooled in standing as one, success isn't going happen. 

No harm no foul in asking how coaches promote team chemistry.

I agree, no harm in posting the question. I think success breeds chemistry, chemistry breeds success. Which comes first? Chicken or egg?

I really think that a good coach lays the foundation. They know when they recruit kids which ones have the kind of character to become a team leader. My sons head coach (D1) asks his team captain for his input on guys during the fall. Who has shown good chemistry with teammates, etc. The team leaders, if they have the best interest of the team as a priority, really have a lot of responsibility for the team chemistry. I know on my son’s team, they are very tight and I think it will show this spring.