Skip to main content

Reply to "Team Chemistry"

Team chemistry is important but when judging this consider that it is much easier to have good team chemistry when you win than if you lose all the time. Losing kills team chemistry because it sucks to lose and also a bench player is much more likely to support a winning team while if the team loses he will think "we are getting killed, my teammates suck and I don't even play" and thus he will be quite pissed about sitting while in a winning team at least he sees some sense on sitting because it is for something and not just watching your teammates getting killed.

Also among the guys who play at some point there will be blaming even though you try to avoid that. You try to support your teammate but if your pitcher walks 3 in a row it is hard to stay alert. And vice versa a pitcher will be pissed if he executes and the defense doesn't make routine play.

I'm not downplaying the importance of culture and learning to deal with failure and support each other, it certainly plays a big role but sometimes the great chemistry team is just a talented team having fun winning and the bad  chemistry team is a not so talented team getting killed all the time and hating it.

Ideally a team can deal with both but talent definitely plays a role. I think some people overlook that. Beat reporters write about how the clubhouse is a mess in a losing team in mlb and that likely is true but are they losing because of team chemistry or is team chemistry bad due to losing? Probably a bit of both.

As a coach teach culture and dealing with failure but sometimes the best recipe for chemistry is being good at baseball.

Last edited by Dominik85