Skip to main content

Reply to "Team Chemistry"

collegebaseballrecruitingguide posted:

As long as that happy, buddy-buddy coach has control and holds players accountable I am all for it. My son’s coach can motivate anyone, but isn’t exactly a warm guy. His assistants have great rapport with the players and the team is all in, which the s the kind of chemistry I like. 

All coaches in my examples above have won championships except the high school coach. Hopefully, that changes this year.

Again, the common thread in all of the scenarios is good players, good leadership and winning culture.  

@Dom - I think we’ve all seen examples of talented teams who don’t/can’t win because the locker room/clubhouse is a mess. That’s why GMs always try to bring in a good veteran presence in the locker room/clubhouse to help with chemistry and culture. 

There’s a great documentary about Dave “The Cobra” Parker that periodically airs in MLB Network and players (Barry Larkin, Gary Sheffield, Eric Davis) talk about how he was a great mentor and uniter of teammates. He was always the locker room police and once told a young Barry Larkin if you don’t start playing with a sense of urgency there would be a physical altercation between the two of them. 🤣

Last edited by hshuler