Skip to main content

Reply to "Team Chemistry"

Shoveit4Ks posted:

I believe it's important. I also think the team activities help with guys learning about each other's mental toughness, heart and communication. That being said, no amount of chemistry can soley bind a team together who aren't committed to being the best team, together. Things get fragmented so quickly when you have big personalities along with the quiet guys and the minority of guys who don't follow the rules and do not get adequately punished. THAT divides the locker room for sure. 

Agreed but I will add that leaders can't always be developed.  I'm somewhat convinced you have or you don't.  One of the worst things for team unity is the ones who think I'm a senior so I get to run the show when they have not earned the respect of the team.  I think you see a difference in the different levels from travel to high school to college to the pros.  One of the key ingredients in team chemistry is the earned right to lead.  Some earn the right but don't want it and others want it but haven't earned it.  I think success does somewhat have to be there for team chemistry to be there at some level.  It is hard to have any team chemistry if you are not winning or capable of winning.  I don't think you have to win championships but you have to win.  Losing consistently is one of the greatest deterrents to team chemistry.  Right there with coaches who do not treat their players equally.  Obvious favorites, especially those who are bad apples is a great deterrent to team chemistry.  I think coaches can move teams toward it but you can't force it.  I have seen some teams that just never found it because of a few bad apples in the locker room.