Skip to main content

Reply to "Team Ont, OBJ...etc"

I have two boys who play baseball. The oldest was always a very good player but I think he only made the BC team one year. He just kept working at his game and went to a junior college in California so he could play a lot of ball and get noticed. It worked. He played his last two years at Division 1 and is now playing professionally in the minor leagues.
My younger son was an above average player but I remember when he was 14 he spent most of the season on the bench. In grades 8 through 11 he was never the strongest player on the team and he certainly was never in the running for a provincial team but he loved baseball and he kept playing and working hard. He really "blossomed" starting at about age 17. (when he was 15 there is no way he or I would have guessed that he'd be a Div. 1 college player in California). He has also been drafted but chose to play more college ball for now.
I guess what I'm trying to say is don't be too concerned about missing opportunities to play on the provincial teams. If they keep working hard, and enjoying the game they will be having great experiences . . . and opportunities may open up down the road.