Skip to main content

Reply to "Team Parents"

daveccpa posted:

This thread really hit me today.  I've been pondering walking away from working with a travel ball organization because I'm sick and tired of the parents.  These parents are going to run off a former 13 year MLB pro who is their coach because they don't feel he wants to win enough.  Mind you they win over 2/3 of their games.  He is tired of it and is most likely going to step away from coaching.  These dimwits have no idea of what they are losing.  Parents really need to get a grip and enjoy their kids playing sports.

On my sons 9u Travel Team the first thing the coach did was send out an email to all the parents explaining "Coaches Decision" and that they were welcome to talk to the coaches about anything involving their son but if you bring up playing time or batting order or position, the answer would likely be "coaches decision" and that would be the only answer you got.

Some parents got ticked by the email, some parents appreciated someone else taking the reins.  It's difficult for parents to get worked up and justify their point and become disgruntled when they are cut off with the words "coaches decision". Retention of players that year was greater than 90%!

The coach that's getting frustrated should lay the ground rules down on day one and not have to deal with the parents being idiots.