Skip to main content

Reply to "Tebow"

cabbagedad posted:
Buckeye 2015 posted:

For a guy in the minors it's not normally the guys he's playing with that determine whether or not he moves up.....it's the guys in front of him.  If a guy had a "short stint" in AAA and is back to AA, it's not Tebow's fault....it's that the guys in AAA are better.  Do you really think the Mets would hold back a guy that could potentially help them just to move Tebow up?   It's fine that he's a sideshow in A or AA, but once you start talking AAA or MLB I don't think they are willing to play that game

Buckeye, what you say is true but I think there is often more to it when moving players through the minors.  Yes, of course, the players in front of him are a big factor but there is also juggling back and forth based on how a player handles the next level.  The player I spoke of has done the gradual progression up and back several times and when you see his stat lines, it makes perfect sense.  He would have high success at a level, move up, have moderate success, move back, crush it, move back up and have better success.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  So, currently, he is crushing it at AA and will likely go back to AAA before too long.  

But those call ups are precious and few.  Only so many roster spots per position and overall.  So, if, say, a Tebow gets put a bit on the fast track for any variety of reasons (right or wrong), it can certainly affect a guy like the one I used as a real life example.  

Hypothetically, the Mets could have a Cespedes hit the 10-day DL and decide the best roster move is to have a guy on the bench who could fill an OF spot and be a decent bat off the bench.  Hypothetically, either Tebow or this guy could fill that need.  Which would they pick and why?  This would certainly be a life-changer for this guy.  But it is certainly possible that it doesn't happen and Tebow gets the nod.   Heck, it could be a life-changer for Tebow.  

Hmmmm...  Cespedes IS on the 10 day DL ...        just sayin'

While I appreciate the story, and truly hope for the best for the young man, at the same time, he could have been a low round pick who is out performing a first rounder, but the first round money guy gets the call ups.  Baseball, for what it's worth, is not exactly a meritocracy.