Skip to main content

Reply to "Tebow"

Teaching Elder posted:
adbono posted:
cabbagedad posted:

I guess I took my eye off the ball.  It took this updated thread to push me to check out his current line.  The most interesting thing I found, the thing that I apparently missed for the last year plus, is the (fairly) new name of his current affiliation team...  Binghamton Rumble Ponies.  The name is apparently a tribute to the abundance of carousels in the area and the hats have an image of a horse with a pole thru it.  Hmmm... the mighty Rumble Ponies. ?? 

Sorry, I'm easily distracted... back to the topic... 

So a current teammate of Tim's is from our area, been progressing gradually in the minors, had one stint in AAA and is a consistent ............300 + hitter with power.  His minors path has taken six years to date.  He's 26.   I'm on both sides of the Tebow argument (I actually think 2019Dad's recent post sums it nicely) but this is a real life example of the guy who may never get the call up and at some point in the near future, it may very well be because Tim got the call instead of him.  

I still can't get the image of a carousel pony on a professional player's hat out of my mind.

Very appropriate metaphor if you ask me. And your point is well taken about any advancement that Tebow gets is at the expense of someone more deserving. That’s why baseball guys don’t like it that Tebow is playing, and that’s why those that aren’t baseball guys don’t get it. 

Who exactly is entitled to a baseball career or a call up to the majors?   If a team wants to put me at second base for three seasons, they are free to do so, although stupid.

Deserving doesn't get a person anywhere in baseball.  Ability to help in some way does.  And that definition is somewhat fungible.  Baseball is incredibly unfair, unjust and fickle hearted.  Just ask the guys who didn't get first round bonuses.

A MLB call up should be earned. I’m betting Tebow’s won’t be earned. The Mets already claimed last year it’s a publicity stunt.