Skip to main content

Reply to "Tell Me Ump"

Don't generalize. Maybe some umpires automatically give the batter 1B, the good ones don't.

Back when Don Drysdale set the record for consecutive scoreless innings, his frecord was in jeopardy. The Giants has the bases loaded, and the batter made no effort to avoid the pitch. The PU (his name escapes me) would not allow the HPB, and Drysdale got him out, and kept his record intact.

On a personal note, I had a situation in an LA City varsity game about 25 years ago. The batter (who must have also been a FB lineman) turned his butt into a sssslllloooowwww curve. As he started toward 1B, I hollered, "DEAD BALL, ball on the batter, stay here". The coach and the batter both were very upset. I told the coach that his batter not only made no attempt to avoid the pitch, he moved into it. The coach asked me to check with my partner, which I did. We met in the infield, away from everyone. It was difficult for the two of us to suppress our grins. When I asked him what he saw, his remark was, "The worst acting job I ever saw".

Bob
Last edited {1}