Skip to main content

Reply to "Temple baseball dropped"

Originally Posted by NYdad2017:

The school said that about 150 student-athletes and nine full-time coaches will be impacted by the decision, which will save about $3 million from a $44 million athletics budget according to the Philadelphia Daily News. Temple will honor scholarships should the student-athletes wish to remain at the school.

What a nightmare.

Good for Temple that they will offer to honor scholarships, at least. It is not clear from the article if scholarships will be honored for the current year or until the student graduates.

Which brings me to another point. I looked it up and tuition, room and board at Temple is about $24,000 per year....for in-state residents. (Add $10,000 for out of staters). Let's say those 150 athletes who will lose their spots represent 100 full scholarships. That alone is $2.4 million. I wonder if this amount was included in the estimated savings...or maybe not since there is a commitment to honor current scholarship offers.

Which brings me to another point.  Wheaton College in Norton, MA , a D3, supports 19 sports including baseball. OK, no football. But Salve Regina in Newport, a D3, has 19 sports too, including football and baseball. Even that powerhouse, MIT has 32!! sports, including football and baseball. How can these schools do it? One answer is, no scholarships....I do not think MIT is dipping into its endowment to fund athletics, maybe I am wrong.

Canary in the coal mine for the viability of athletic scholarships at schools without big football/basketball programs? Tweet, tweet.