Skip to main content

Reply to "Temple baseball dropped"

I found an article from a couple of years ago about the politics of Temple versus the Big East and internal to the school. Temple has dropped baseball before. They have two home fields, one a half hour in one direction and another an hour in another direction.

The article was mostly about whether or not to keep or drop football. Buried in the article it stated the Temple athletic department loses 10M per year. 7M of the loss is attributable to football. 

When Al Golden (now HC at Miami) was head coach Temple got to be an above average team. They still only drew 15,000 per game in a 66,000 seat stadium they pay 1M per year in rent just for games. Other than the Golden era they've been mostly a two win team.

Temple is a commuter school. A majority of the students don't care about sports. The new university president believes they can build a powerhouse football program that will finance the entire athletic department. Is this viable when the football team has never been elite and never been supported by fans/alumni?

The crew and gymnastics teams that were dropped were perennial champions. They won conference titles more than 50% of the time. Crew had very few scholarships divided many ways. Gymnastics had zero scholarships. Most of its expenses were subsidized by corporate contributions.

What's going on has nothing to do with Title IX. Its all about a delusion regarding football. I've never been a proponent of dropping sports. But Temple should drop the Pipedream and football. I lived in a Philadelphia suburb for eighteen years. I never heard anyone mention Temple football other than when a handful of kids from our high school conference signed to play there.

Last edited by RJM