Skip to main content

Reply to "That's one blind baserunner!"

These are fun to read about!  My experience with it was during an end-of-season tournament in a collegiate summer league in the Northwest. Our hitter was a stud, very aggressive on the basepaths. He hit a nice line drive to right that the RF charged at full speed, then screamed out the F word, flailed his arms around and started sprinting for the outfield fence, yelling dammit, dammit, dammit. I mean he was loud. Our guy puts his head down and motors for second. When he's halfway there, eyes laser focused on second base, the RF pivots and throws a perfect strike to the SS at second base.  Our guy was out by a mile.  We were playing on a field that needed to be mowed, so the grass in the outfield was a little high.  Not crazy high but just high enough where you might lose sight of the ball so everyone realized what had happened. Our hitter looked at the RF, shook his head, and trotted off the field. When he got to the dugout everyone was quiet and just waiting. No one had any idea what to say to him.  He just put his helmet down in the rack, sat next to me, started taking his batting gloves off, stopped, looked up at me and said, in a tone of bemusement and wonder more than anger,  "The #X&*%# deked me, man. He really did."