Skip to main content

Reply to "The 2023s"

Additional information for perspective.

My son was a 2-way and played for a National Championship D3.  Roster depth and injuries played a big part of what he ended up doing in the field during his 4 years there.  This is typical in what happens in college baseball....out of curiosity I went back and looked at his stats.

Fr      Soph     Jr      Sr

AB    93       23       14       0

IP     13         0        14     40

He came in as a freshmen "wonder boy" and got meaningful innings both pitching and in the field. He was a starting pitcher in a significant regional playoff game.  He was "slotted" for a starting outfield position as a Soph and got beat out by a future All American freshmen, and mostly rode the bench that year. (he had focused his summer on position not pitching leading up to his Soph year) He "earned" a starting OF position as a Jr and broke his hand  in the third game of the season. (LH for a RHP/H)  Since there was no way back to playing in the field that year due to the injury he started throwing again during the season as he could still catch with the broken hand, and worked his way back into the pitching rotation as a back end reliever.  Late in the season he got into high leverage conference and regional games. He decided to focus on pitching for his Sr year and was one of two guys who were "closers/high leverage" guys. He pitched in conference championship, Regionals and CWS games.

His schedule was brutal as a freshmen and to this day I still don't know how he did it. The advantage of being a two way opened doors for him, but there is no way he could have done it his four years.