Skip to main content

Reply to "n/a"

All of what's been said here feels and sounds right to me, but there is no doubt an element of time that will factor in.  We're making guess (albeit educated) as to what the ripples will be.  Not that the story is a benchmark, but I have a 2021 who committed last July to a JUCO after getting some legit interest from a couple D1s.  Based on all that I could see last summer, I would have bet a LOT of money that many 2021s around here aspiring to play college ball would be left homeless.  But that didn't happen at all.  I was/still am shocked with how many kids found homes.  Another local 2021 just committed to a JUCO today.  The commitments have slowed, but they're still coming in.  Blows my mind because it goes against everything I feared and what many predicted would happen.  Now, is the carnage for 2021s simply delayed?  Maybe.  Probably?  Time will tell.  But thus far, the biggest impact I've seen are just a handful of guys going the JUCO route who had decent shots at D1.  I've seen no tragedies to date.

Regarding video, I'll say this.  If I see 100 parents shooting video to help with their kids' recruiting, 100 of them are shooting at bats only.  I see almost as many unicorns as I do parents shooting defense.  Last summer my son got what appeared to be VERY close to getting an offer from a D1 school.  All of a sudden - instead of simply watching what my son was sending them and replying to him - they CAME to my son and asked him to send them more video.  As much as we could get them.  When we asked what specifically they wanted to see more of, they said "everything."  They wanted warm ups, they wanted on deck circle, dugout, literally all of it.  For those couple weeks, it meant me watching every play through my phone.  You can't get good video by mounting a camera to a tripod, hitting record and walking away.  I was literally recording every pitch while ensuring my son (SS) was in frame. I followed the ball, the plays as they related to my son.  After the game, it meant deleting 100+ videos just to whittle it down to the ones where he got touches.  It's laborious and it sucks, but I'd still recommend it.  I am lucky in that my kid plays a position with a lot of touches.  Parents of outfielders?  I salute you for how awful it'll be to shoot good defensive video of your kids.  But I still recommend you do it.