Skip to main content

Reply to "The 411 on helping your son play College Baseball"

So I do have some criticisms, but I'll try to keep them productive and focused.

1. Is this the only place you posted this? It appears to be a jobs web site and I'm not sure that's the right audience for people seeking baseball scholarships. It suggests to me (and I doubt you intended this) that if you don't have a job, a baseball scholarship might be a way to go to help your kid with college. Otherwise, I'm not sure how this is an appropriate venue for the piece.

2. It's too long. I run an online newspaper and it about kills me to post anything that's 1,000 words and I don't go any longer. People just don't have the attention span. This is more than 3,400 words, which not only is a lot of words, but it also reads like a lot of words. Maybe consider using some bullet points to tighten up your message.

3. It is very general. It's nice to tell people to send video, but what should they include in it? I just have visions of lots of people reading that and starting some of those lovely slo-mo action videos with a cool soundtrack in the background. More specifics on what to include in an email also would be helpful.

4. I thought generally the observations about D1 baseball were correct, although I think there's a more specific message to parents about turning your child over to their coaches.

5. Finally, I guess my most significant criticism, and perhaps the one easiest to fix, is what's your qualification to write this article? You need to tell people what qualifies you to give them advice and more importantly, why should they listen?

JMO.