Skip to main content

Reply to "The 411 on helping your son play College Baseball"

Rocky Alvarez posted:

1. Is this the only place you posted this? It appears to be a jobs web site and I'm not sure that's the right audience for people seeking baseball scholarships. It suggests to me (and I doubt you intended this) that if you don't have a job, a baseball scholarship might be a way to go to help your kid with college. Otherwise, I'm not sure how this is an appropriate venue for the piece.

It doesn't appear to be a jobs site, it is a jobs site.  Who cares where I posted it. That's irrelevant.  I have a blog where I help people find jobs.  It's the only place I knew to put it so I can link it so others can read it.  But what was untrue about the article???  You said most if it was untrue?

2. It's too long. I run an online newspaper and it about kills me to post anything that's 1,000 words and I don't go any longer. People just don't have the attention span. This is more than 3,400 words, which not only is a lot of words, but it also reads like a lot of words. Maybe consider using some bullet points to tighten up your message.

I agree.  It's very long.  I just started writing and when I was finished, I said crap, this is a long article.  I really got in to it and didn't want to forget anything.  I wrote it during a long flight. Maybe I'll add some more subtitles. Again, you said there were many thing that were untrue with my article, once again, what was untrue???

3. It is very general. It's nice to tell people to send video, but what should they include in it? I just have visions of lots of people reading that and starting some of those lovely slo-mo action videos with a cool soundtrack in the background. More specifics on what to include in an email also would be helpful.

lol. I thought you said my article was too long?  Now you want me to write the bible on college recruiting?  Parents need to do some research on their own. A simple search will reveal this tutorial that I now included in my article. https://www.ncsasports.org/baseball/recruiting-video

Truth is coaches could care less about cool music and graphics.  I wrote about things that should be included in the emails.  Read it again.  Again, you said there were many thing that were untrue with my article, once again, what was untrue???

4. I thought generally the observations about D1 baseball were correct, although I think there's a more specific message to parents about turning your child over to their coaches.

Why don't you tell us what you mean about "turning your child over to their coaches?"  Coaches are a resource, not the end all be all.  If you put all your eggs in the coaches basket, believing he will get your kid a scholarship, you are very mistaken.  Very few care that much.  Coaches don't know what schools will be the best fit for your son; you and your son do.  Some, because of their years in coaching do have connections that can help, but I would take charge of the process, not put your son's college future entirely in their hands.

Again, you said there were many thing that were untrue with my article, once again, what was untrue???

5. Finally, I guess my most significant criticism, and perhaps the one easiest to fix, is what's your qualification to write this article? You need to tell people what qualifies you to give them advice and more importantly, why should they listen?

I started the recruiting process with my son two years ago when it was clear his coach wasn't the kind of coach who gave a crap about helping kids get scholarships, unless they were to big name D1 colleges.  I realized the onus was on us if he wanted to have a chance to play in college.  I started researching, reading, talking to coaches at prospect camps, speaking to my sons coaches who had played college baseball, speaking to the coaches on NCSA, etc.  

I am a dad who helped his son get a scholarship to play college baseball.  My son recruited the schools, because we know it was very unlikely all the schools he was interested in were going to recruit him.  Everything I put in the article is what I know to be true.  Again, you said there were many thing that were untrue with my article, once again, what was untrue???

Who cares where I posted it. That's irrelevant.  — iIt's only relevant if you care who reads the article.

But what was untrue about the article???  You said most if it was untrue? — Never used the word untrue. Never said most of it or even any of it was untrue.

Seems like you are seeking an argument rather than feedback, so I'm done.