Skip to main content

Reply to "The 411 on helping your son play College Baseball"

Rocky Alvarez posted:

Pitchingfan: Again, coaches are not interested in your son's stats.  They need to see him with their own eyes.  What does hitting .300 mean?  Was it against quality pitching? Does he play in a mecca of great baseball with amazing competition?  Does he pitch against the great teams or is he the kid they put in against not so good teams?  They do care about metrics.  60 time, exit velo, pitching velocity, different types of pitches, height and weight, grades, test scores, etc.  They don't care that he went 3 for 4 against Sunny Delight Prep.  

I'm not trying to argue with you.  You asked what people thought?  Our experience was with my son and others in my program that coaches wanted to know stats, especially his summer stats against good teams.  I think it also depends on what level of recruiting you are talking about.  My son was recruited D1 and many of the coaches in SEC, ACC, and Big 10 commented in our personal conversations on his stats against the Big Programs in his summer ball and his high school stats..  It also helped he threw .000 era for all of high school year so it stood out.  I know every college coach I have talked to about players, they want to know their stats, grades, and attitudes so it does count.  No matter what teams you are playing you should at least hit .300 in high school and have low era if you are a high level college player. 

On recruiting services telling you what level ball you should be doing, that is also what a summer coach should be doing.  Our coaches always told our players what level they should be reaching out to whether good or bad in the players eyes.