Skip to main content

Reply to ""The Astros stole signs electronically in 2017""

3and2Fastball posted:
Dominik85 posted:

The Astros are becoming the new evil empire.

Btw why not give manager, catcher and pitcher a headset? This eliminates signs and speeds up the game.

Manager calls fb outside low and then pitcher says yes or no, catcher just listens.

Because often the Catchers have a better feel for calling the game than the Manager.  And there is every reason to believe that a message being sent via headset could be intercepted anyways.

The NFL uses headsets to communicate with QBs and sideline coaches, and so far as I have heard there have been no issues (yet) with transmissions being intercepted.  (Although I do seem to recall allegations over the years that visiting teams' signals were deliberately degraded?)  

Having signals relayed electronically would take away the element of "legitimate" sign-stealing by a runner on 2d.  That would be a shame, because that is a fun game within the game.  But technology makes it too easy now for teams to steal signals in other ways.  (Ten years ago who would have expected MLB would need to ban some kinds of wristwatches from dugouts?).  Like robo-umps, some form of electronic pitch-calling seems inevitable to me.  I'm ambivalent about both of those changes, but I think they are going to happen.