Skip to main content

Reply to "The average pitching speed at age X is this!"

Originally Posted by TPM:
I did and I deleted my response.
Why is it a sore spot with you?

The concept of "when recruiting begins" is a sore spot because there are such conflicting opinions on the matter from very knowledgeable people.  Notice I didn't say when OFFERS begin, but when RECRUITING begins, when does the player get on the radar?

It appears to me, and I could be wrong, that anyone who went through this dance 5+ years ago is very firm that recruiting begins in 11th grade, this is mirrored on the website information, and the idea of discussing such matters prior to their child making the Varsity team in High School is ludicrous and the parents must be over thinking helicopter parents. 

Maybe some of them/us are helicopter parents who are overthinking...but you read more and more about commitments for the class of 2020, and 2019, and 2018 has a boat load.  If there are a boat load of 10th graders committing then recruitment can't be starting in 11th grade. Are their occasional alumni outliers, sure, but if only 25% of the offers being made to 8th/9th/10th graders are being accepted, because parents are educating themselves that accepting offers that early could be detrimental, then there have to be WAY more offers than there are acceptances.  That leads me back to RECRUITING can't be starting in 11th grade. I would hazard a guess that actual recruiting is starting in 8th grade.  8th grade vs. 11th grade...that's a pretty big gap, hence the sore spot.