Skip to main content

Reply to "The average pitching speed at age X is this!"

Originally Posted by CaCO3Girl:

Originally Posted by Swampboy:
Originally Posted by 2020dad:
Swamp, very true and good points.  These numbers are a range and I agree some of these numbers seam a bit low.   But the original point as I understood it was why know these numbers at all before age 16.  That is what I do not believe is accurate.  If you wait til 16 to see where you fit it may just be too late.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "wait."

If  you use "wait" to describe being less than wholly committed to getting big enough, strong enough, and good enough to play in college, I would definitely agree that waiting until you are 16 will be too late for most players. 

However, if you use "wait" to mean not attending showcases or trying to attract the interest of coaches before your velocity is plausibly near the usual threshholds for being recruited at the level of college where you want to play, I would respectfully disagree. Waiting until you are nearly there may be better than going out of your way to prove you're not yet a prospect.

How about this scenario, a RHP 9th grader is throwing 82mph.  He commits to a local D1, and by his senior year he is hitting 89.  One of his classmates was a late bloomer, but hit 89 his senior year.  Both have the same control and could be twins.  Would it be safe to say the kid who committed in 9th grade has the better shot of his scholarship being honored than the just hit 89 kid has at getting a D1 scholarship?

caco the issue I see with this scenario is I don't think 82 as a freshman is anywhere near what a D1 would want to see to accept an early commit.  May or may not keep an eye.on him but I think you have to be at least upper 80's regardless of age.