Skip to main content

Reply to "The Backpedaling Dad"

We are right in the middle of this process now. Son is high school freshmen. He started a bit late at 10. As a non athlete with only a few years of little league with a spouse that was a collegiate athlete in another sport it's been a learning process.

I was really happy to learn that this year the varsity coach put together a nice off winter season program that my son has the option of attending. One that most importantly WE are NOT involved in. It takes the pressure off somewhat. My son is always asking me to look for training programs for him, advice about increasing throwing velo and  other training. I have no clue about. I am the researcher and keeper of his calendar which is always packed with lessons, workouts and other training. I hope this will change too as he gets older.

Son had a tough fall playing up facing and catching faster pitching on a very good team which we pushed him to join. It was just too good of an opportunity to pass by.  He was relucant to leave his old org but we felt that he would develop more by joining this team for the fall.

We felt it would be a great learning experience for him. It was. But it was for US as well. It was a great environment and coach that wasn't afraid to let the kids fail. Seeing him struggle with confidence not being one of the better players, needing to be bigger and stronger to throw harder was a great lesson for us.

Now I understand that you have to take to it day by day, month by month year by year and my son needs to be the one setting the pace. Also not to get upset if he seems like he lagging behind others because kids grow and develop at different rates. He's working very hard. The rest is out of our control.

We had the opportunity to go back to be on a lower level team with friends where he would be a starter at his primary position but choose to stay with the new team and coach where he will spend the winter competing for a spot. Even if he is assigned to a lesser team in the same org with quality coaching and training it's OK too. In the past it would have tore me up if he got moved down as he has frequently floated between A and B teams.

I am hoping after this year or  sophomore year it will clearer to him and us what his path and level with be with regards to his summer team and whether or not he still has the desire and ability to play in college. My expectations are more realistic that they were at 10,12 or even 13.

I am also looking forward to being more a cheerleader sitting on the sidelines as he continues to mature.