Skip to main content

Reply to "The Backpedaling Dad"

My husband coached basketball for my son up until HS and the girls up until their sophomore summer. Baseball was always between my son and his coaches. We provide morale support and helped with decisions...and my husband threw offseason BP up until this year. Now most of what we do is talk life with all three of them. One daughter (the environmental scientist) tends to come to me with work questions and the other two (basketball operations with the Spurs and MiLB) to Dad but we talk often on all kinds of topics. My son and I read books together so we can discuss. We just read "The Mental Game of Baseball" and now he wants me to read his favorite graphic novel/s. My middle daughter also has books she asks me to read  

Since my husband coached the girls and played basketball ball at a high level, he was with the girls for AAU season. I was baseball mom and miss the long car rides. This offseason, PTWoodson was with us until Tuesday, hitting and lifting here in MD. It was sad to see him head off to FL. It hit hard this year because he's truly grown into adulthood and it was great interacting with him (really all three of them) as such a mature and thoughtful version of himself.

I have loved every stage of their journeys. It is cool that 2 out the 3 are still "working" in their sport but just as cool that oldest sis is a valued member of her work team!