Skip to main content

Reply to "The Backpedaling Dad"

I ran the gauntlet of dad positions. LL travel coach / Early teen super dad and taxi service, late teen quiet supporter and emergency soft tosser to college years of general guidance and advice giver for first real adult interactions...was a great ride, few if any regrets.

Now that a full season plus has passed my most special memory in the spring of 21 the first back after covid with all the insane precautions going around and son roommates get covid the week before the games start. He had previously had covid over Christmas. He should have been cleared to play but the school only honored a 60 window for immunity and he was at 68 or there about. He was banned from practice, lifting, the indoor and outdoor facilities and classes...but he didn't live on campus so they couldn't control his activities.

I jumped into old coach mode. called an indoor facility I know open the doors. full use of the gym but nobody would be there. for the next 7 days he would drive 30 minutes from direction and i would drive 30 from the other...meet you in the middle.

I had 2.5 hours a day over 7 days to listen, to spot him, hit ground balls (he was not happy with my rusty fungo skills but they came back pretty quick) and flip the soft toss. I hadn't flipped for him a couple years, i couldn't believe how much harder the ball came off at 21 compared to 19...he didn't miss a beat when he came back and had great season.

As parents we often don't know "the last time" until after the fact. Fortunately for me I knew this was it. I drank in every toss, every spot and swing and offered no advice unless i was asked a question. Of all the great times....those days I treasure.