Skip to main content

Reply to "The Backpedaling Dad"

I’ve always been very involved. I always took kids to practices, usually stayed. Drove to tournaments and lessons. Researched everything from training tools, to doctors, to recovery.  My kids played opposite seasons so I really got to do it with both ( and now my third hates sports). I would watch the games live and then go back and listen to the commentary from the audio streams the next day. I loved every single minute. I got more than my share of “that’s my kid” moments and many, many hours in cars, planes and hotels and I regret none of it. There is a profound sadness when it’s over, and a sense of dread when you know it may be coming.  When they go to college it really becomes completely their journey. That doesn’t mean that mama bear hasn’t been fighting to come out, but I know I can’t. I too still research everything and know stats for players I have no reason to know. I read every article, check rosters.  I’m told a lot that I’m not a “normal mom”…probably most moms on here aren’t.  This year will be it for my son, unless it’s not. I’ve come to some peace with it, knowing so much is out of our hands and even out of his. That said, I will log a lot of hours this spring. I don’t want to miss anything, even if it’s just the hug when he comes out of the locker room. This game has been a gift to us, even with all the pain and frustrations. If I could do it again, I’d  change some things but I’d still take the journey.