Skip to main content

Reply to "The "Baseball House" at College"

I'm not saying it's right or wrong but your son is going to be an outlier when it comes to the habits of college athletes. Most drink, party, etc. There are two ways to look at it...

You can say the coach made a poor judgement call putting him there, he is out of touch with the culture of his team off the field, his team is not as locked in as they should be.

Or look at it this way - The coach was looking out for him trying to get him living with some other guys so he starts to feel more comfortable, fit in better, has an easier adjustment period considering he's new to the team and the season starts in 6 weeks.

Living in the party house sucks. You want to hang at the party house, never want to live in the party house. That being said, from the conversations I've had with mine they say baseball season seriously hampers their social life. Things got more serious when they came back from Christmas break. The screwing around and drinking took a backseat to the grind of the regular season. Yes, they still hungout. Those who could get into bars would go, maybe they would have some people over. But nobody was going wild with parties playing 4 games a week, traveling, school work, deadlines. At least not every night. And the way the schedule lines up W night - Fri night -Sat night - Sun day game + travel there really was no good time to go nuts.

Lastly, I took mine and a few teammates out to dinner. They were joking about one kid and what a hard ass he could be. He flips out when they stay up late and make noise, doesn't drink, never home, doesn't go to bars with them, etc. The kid hit .400 and transferred to a top 25 program. Enough said.