Skip to main content

Reply to "The "Baseball House" at College"

Seems to me there’s been a lot of energy spent on the assumption he’s Pinto and headed to Delta Tau Chi based on opinion.  There's beer in college, along with a lot of other possibly worse things. How our kids navigate those things, classwork and training is now mostly out of parental control by this point - we've had 18 years to set that stage. We’ve transitioned from a position of power to one of influence, hopefully it was gradual through the teen years and not a switch as they left home…

I believe that competence has a direct relationship with the size problems you can navigate or mitigate, and the only training is navigating and mitigating problems. A house with 8 ball players could be a disaster, or it could be the best experience of his life. If there are issues outside his boundaries, then he should attempt to resolve them. If he needs external help, I’m sure he’ll ask, but I’m guessing that parents won’t be his first stop.

My son lived with 5 ball players as a junior at Arkansas 2017. Every time I visited, there were nonresident players there – it was one of the places to hang out. I don’t know the stories, but I’m sure there are many (like what happened to my pellet gun). Two of the 5 including my son are still in baseball (4 were drafted), the others are very successful – one has his PHD in geology…

ah

Attachments

Images (1)
  • ah