Skip to main content

Reply to ""The Best Story About Roy Williams Came From Former UNC Baseball Player Robert Woodard""

My brush with Roy Williams greatness......

About 15 years ago, I'm walking UNC's campus with one of their IT Directors.   This is a few months removed from their NCAA basketball championship against Illinois.  The IT Director is a big walker, and would rather meet walking the campus than in a stuffy meeting room.  We're walking past the "Dean Dome", and Coach Williams is finishing up a  mid-morning jog in the NC summer.   The guy was in great shape for his age.   At the same time, we all spot a dog and a litter of puppies crossing the road.   Coach Williams (still out of breath) and the two of us try to lure the puppies inside (the Dome) until we can figure out what to do with them.   I'm introduced to Coach Williams.  He makes a few phone calls to take care of the dogs.   Within minutes, the UNC facilities people are there, and we are assured the dogs will be well taken care of.  Apparently, Coach Williams is a big animal lover, and a really nice guy!

Last edited by fenwaysouth