Skip to main content

Reply to "The Cape 2020"

"I cannot imagine a host family would consider taking in a player from one of the hot spots"

Still in denial.  "Hot spots." So, tell me about those hot spots. Would that be where we're testing? Are there hot spots where we aren't testing?  How about just a spin of the roulette wheel - that's about as accurate.

UNTIL WE IMPLEMENT WIDESPREAD TESTING OF A REPRESENTATIVE SAMPLE OF THE POPULATION  - THOSE WITH SYMPTOMS AND THOSE WITHOUT - we are fighting this battle completely and totally blind. And widespread testing is quite away off into the future.

For example, while California is often mentioned as having had some success, when you have tested amongst the lowest per capita in the US (like California), its sheer hubris to make any claim about success. (See, e.g., More than 1 million people tested for coronavirus in US, but access varies from state to state - https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/0...id-19-screening.html)

Four weeks ago, we were told that 4 million tests A WEEK were here. As of yesterday, total test results were a bit above a million. Yesterday, about 115k test results were logged - the testing number has basically plateaued while the number of infections continues on an exponential path.

THE ENTIRE COUNTRY IS A HOT SPOT AND SHOULD BE CONSIDERED THAT WAY UNTIL TESTING GETS SERIOUS.

The immunity question is more interesting. But, I'm surprised a consensus hasn't emerged: we just dont know if any immunity is conferred  AND, if so, for how long? 

Now, I find comfort in knowing that the entire human race's brain power is focused on this disease. Give our scientists, medical professionals, engineers time and we humans will figure it out. But when every day seems like a month, time is quite elastic.

Last edited by Goosegg