Skip to main content

Reply to "The Cape 2020"

You are only missing one point.  Part of this is what the government does, but part of it is what people choose to do.  The vocal people who want everything to go back to "normal" are a minority.  Very large numbers of people are not going to go back to what they used to do, especially in the voluntary areas of entertainment and travel, until they feel that it is reasonable to do so. 

Obviously a lot can happen with summer ball that we used not to think about, but now we are thinking about it.  (Last summer my son was diagnosed with mono, the day before he was supposed to leave to play for a collegiate summer team hundreds of miles away - and we did wonder, what if this had happened while he was already there?) 

If I'm supposed to send my son hundreds of miles away to play baseball, where he might get sick and need hospitalization, and I don't hear from the team a coherent plan about what they will do in that situation, then I won't send him.  If he can get an antibody test and he has already had it, then fine.  If they test players for the virus and have an isolation plan for them, then fine.  If a theraputic treatment is available by then, then fine.  If they have a place for me to stay if hotels are still closed and I have to come because he's in the hospital, then that's helpful.  That's a lot for a summer team to have to think about.