Skip to main content

Reply to "The challenges of college"

Another good topic/post.

Hope this doesn't come off like bragging, but the baseball was the least of his worries. He went in knowing he might not play his freshman year, but was confident in his abilities.

The academics however were something else. His first email home was that he thought he was the "stupidest kid on campus". After talking with other parents they said that was the same email they got. There is definitely a learning curve. Biggest tip my son got is to not get behind in class. It just snowballs and is hard to catch up.

As for the "extra curricular" activities, yes they did worry me as he joined the frat, was one of the better "pong" players, etc... That said, since childhood he was always more mature for his age and kept things in perspective. Was the RA for the frat, and pretty much was the big brother who kept things in some assemblance of order, although when the wife first saw the frat she was starting to look for the cleaning supplies. (A funny sidenote; after about a month of one of the toilets not flushing on another floor, they complained to Josh who checked it out and replaced the battery in the sensor Roll Eyes) Lots of book knowledge up there, but practical knowledge is another story.

Happily I can say it seems to have worked out and is a better person for having experienced college life.