Skip to main content

Reply to "The Clock and 2021s"

@TXdad2019 posted:

I agree, but if your a coach and you have a 20' and 21' that were successful at the JUCO level that was loaded the last two years, do you skip them for a unproven 22' and 23' out of HS? That's going to be the issue for guys IMO. I guess it will determine what each individual college is looking for though. I forsee alot of redshirts being tagged on incoming guys out of HS for the next couple of years.  

I think you're right it would depend on the need of the individual school. I don't see the redshirt thing being an issue. The guys who would have got 12 ABs or 10 innings on the mound might be better served preserving a year of eligibility, but I don't see any young contributors not playing. 

If I had to guess I'd assume a school that usually brings in 12 guys a year may only bring in 8 or 9 for the next few years. More money going back to the roster instead of high school recruits. You give less money out to high schoolers and invest that money back in rostered returning contributors. Anybody you don't want back you just give the money to juco talent or you don't get rid of a recruit like you normally might. 

It's all speculation, just my thoughts. A coach is going to do whatever he wants to do. If that involves bringing every graduating senior back he'll do it. If that involves only bringing two graduating starters back he'll do it. I think any coach with a window to win now will take advantage of the extra year. Any coach in a rebuild I'm sure would like to get back to normal with a younger core sooner rather than later.