Skip to main content

Reply to "The Connection"

I also think as important as they are, numbers are also overrated. There is a world of difference between someone who throws 90+, has a wicked secondary pitch and a solid third pitch who can locate vs. someone who hit 90 once. On paper, they both throw 90. Similarly, there might be two kids who run 6.6 but one takes terrible routes or has gotten slower as he’s gotten bigger. They might both show 6.6 but one is getting faster and the other is getting slower; one can use his speed on offense and defense whereas the other primarily uses his for bunting or stealing if he can get on base. 95+ Position velocity is only useful if you are accurate and 100+ exit velocity only matters if you have good plate discipline and your swing is short and/or fast enough to keep up with high velocity pitching.

I agree that there are a lot of really good players out there and it’s much harder to distinguish in baseball as it is in other sports because there just aren’t as many opportunities in a game to show what you can do as there are in other sports. But the mistake a lot of people make is assuming that equal metrics always means equal performance.

And I know Bob will add in the 6th tool.