Skip to main content

Reply to "The Convention on Over-Use"

Thanks for the thread. I try to read all threads like this here, your differing experience is invaluable.

I don't always understand all the technical aspects (I mean, isn't an inverted "W" an "M"?) :-) - but I'm learning! It does seem like the thing I take away is that all kids are different, but all elbows and shoulders are the same. (except for the mlb pitcher who is missing a tendon)

I think over use is a huge issue. HS Coaches/teams have to win, and that is often in direct contrast with player's health. I'm not knocking these coaches, their job is on the line. Parents often get caught up in the spotlight too.

(one quick story - husband is an ump and was working a tourney recently. One of the coaches wasn't paying attention and caught a line drive with his shin. It was bad and after the inning husband asked him why he didn't go the the ER. Coach said he was teaching his boys to "play through the pain." Husband looked at him and told him that was the dumbest advice he had ever heard, telling me it was a great example of needing to pay attention!)

That really is the mind set isn't it? Play through the discomfort, play through the strain, play though the pain. I know we don't want to raise a bunch of cry babies, but something needs to change. Having written this, I'm seeing a future of little superstars in the making whose parents won't let them throw more than 20 pitches per inning, warmups limited to 30 throws, and then wondering why they can't go more than 3 innings as HS freshman. Is there a good answer?
Last edited by 55mom