Skip to main content

Reply to "The D1 Talent Who Went D2"

Francis,

The general population doesn't understand this stuff the way you and I do.  They've never experienced it or realize that athletic recruitment decision making is about a year (or more) earlier than regular students.   

Honestly, you have to find a way to deflect the question when it comes up without explaining all the nuances that we understand on this website.   My response was always that "he had several opportunities across NCAA Divisions, and he selected the school that best fit academically, athletically and financially plus his 40+ year career goals".   This is true, and it pretty much cuts off any further questions.  If they have a clue what college recruiting is about they will understand.   If they don't have a clue what college recruiting is about they will still understand.

I had run into a few snarky people at cocktail parties who knew my son was headed to an Ivy to play baseball.  Oh course their first question is athletic scholarship related...."did he get a full-ride".   When I explain the ivys don't provide athletic scholarships I got one of two responses.  Either "oh", or "I know somebody who's brothers son got an athletic scholarship to an Ivy".   My response is "well that is interesting, and they must be very,very  special....then I smile."   

Keep it simple and high level to those people that are genuinely interested.  As for the snarky people, I'll let you come up with your own response. 

Just my two cents....