Skip to main content

Reply to "The D1 Talent Who Went D2"

@fly996 posted:

Maybe he didn't have any really good D1 offers?

What constitutes a really good D1 offer? I would submit that most people don’t know the answer to that. It differs for each player to some degree but there are some constants that hold true across the board. It’s a good offer if : the right degree plan is offered, the HC is a good man and has hired like minded assistants, the coaches care about their players and treat them fairly, the coaches teach and develop the talent they recruit, the facilities are good, there is a realistic chance to get playing time, it’s a winning program, the social climate is a fit, there is a fan base that cares about baseball, and you wouldn’t want to leave if baseball didn’t work out. Good luck finding all that at most D1s - especially the P5s. But most people would think any offer from a D1 is a good offer. It isn’t. Most P5 offers are walk on or small money insurance policies. Same is true at most other top 50 D1 programs. The HCs at these schools are making a lot of money and are expected to win. They are running a business and their decisions are cold and hard. Most kids (and parents) aren’t ready for this. They have no idea what they are getting into until they are in it. Then they find out that the coaches at their big name school aren’t really that good. They don’t want to teach and develop players. They want to recruit and manage a roster. As a result many kids leave these programs for a more comfortable existence. They recognize they would rather enjoy their time playing college baseball at a less prestigious school than be miserable sitting on the bench on a team coached by someone that doesn’t care about them. IMO, if a HS kid really does have D1 talent (and most that are told they do actually don’t) the place to look is a good mid-major. There is a much better chance of finding most of the things I listed above that constitute a good offer. This has certainly held true for the kids I know that are still playing.