Skip to main content

Reply to "The D1 Trap"

I'm always enamored by the "D1 trap" conversation.  Even in this post, it's the kids or parents fault for believing in the hype.  IMO, that's BS.  D1 coaches don't offer scholly's to every kid that comes to their camps.  They offer the kids THEY feel like can help the program.  If the kid flames out, why can't it simply be "it just didn't work out"?  I would argue that most times, there was no way either the kid, the parent, or the coach saw it coming.  Maybe it was school, maybe it was girls, maybe it was the town, etc, etc.  

Let me flip the question:  if you, as a parent, take a high paying job that doesn't work out, do you go come and ask yourself why you didn't stay at that mid-level job where you were successful?  No you don't!  You're disappointed, but you pick yourself up and move on to whatever is next.

This is the same conversation with the entire JUCO crowd.  Yes, JUCO is great, and it's a great spot for a lot of kids.  But you have JUCO zealots screaming that every kid should go to JUCO, which just isn't true for many!

Kids should go where they "believe" they can compete and develop!  Sorry for the rant . . .but stop being so judgmental on a kid that took a shot at his dream it simply didn't work out.