Skip to main content

Reply to "The draft for dummies?"

As a 18 year old HS draftee, he will have very little in common with the rest of the draftees. Some are married, some with kids..........the locker room culture will be eye opening as will the night life!

There is a reason they have 40 rounds, plus supplementals...........the early rounds need people to play with and as we know the money is on the top picks, which in reality guarantees nothing but some additional chances to prove they can't do it. I've seen my share of kids drafted rounds 6-40 that stall out in ROK ball for 2-3 years, get released and end up in Indy ball. Then return home to become the next wave of instructors and coaches in 30 minute increments.

I had a good friend whose kid was taken in late rounds out of college. He had a very difficult time adjusting to the culture in ROK/A(short) ball. As a D1 baseball players accommodations are a big upgrade and they are somewhat spoiled as athletes. The language barrier, cutting lines and being ganged up on.......you can't raise a player that's too tough, mentally or physically.

I tell my 2018, go to college and grow as a person with your peers. If you continue to progress, you will get an opportunity. The chances are greater to come out ahead of your HS draft class after playing college ball in addition to having a backup plan in hand with a degree.

There are no secrets in baseball when it relates to the top prospects that were on the national stage, aka, PG, AC, ECP.........The players in remote areas that didn't make it to the national stage are the dark horses that seldom see questionnaires or garner much attention. Baseball has eyes everywhere and scouts will hold those close to the vest.

My 2018 was out hooping it up last night with a group of friends at a local sports facility. Someone took video and posted it on social media. An hour later his PC text him to let him know multiple scouts had been chiming in......What are you doing!!!!!!!! They did not want to see you playing basketball, it's reckless and you could get hurt. Much to his surprise, someone was watching him. Teams are looking for as many reasons NOT to draft a player as they are looking for reasons to draft them.