Skip to main content

Reply to "The elephant in the room returns"

Heimlich has a right to a life. He has a right to earn a living. He doesn’t have the right to pick his job. He has to be hired. His preferred profession (baseball) comes with public exposure and scrutiny. His past behavior makes him less marketable due to the PR hit any team who selects him takes. Look what happened to NFL viewership just from not standing for the national anthem. Two former 49ers can’t find NFL jobs just for being outspoken. 

No, Heimlich does not have the right to play baseball. He does have the tools. It’s up to teams to decide if they need him to make money or will signing him cost them money. 

I’ve never committed a crime outside of traffic violations. When I was young out of college I was asked in interviews,  “Why you instead of everyone in this pile (stack of resumes)?” The real question is, what is your value added to the organization?

It’s that simple. Why Heimlich versus every other prospect on the board? It’s what MLB franchises are asking themselves. 

If I were Heimlich’s coach or an adult close to him I would advise him he can’t run from this situation. I would advise him to get involved in volunteer work with children. When it becomes a good story PR the hell out of it in the press. It’s redemption. I’m sorry is never going to be enough. Actions speak louder than words.