Skip to main content

Reply to "The elephant in the room returns"

PitchingFan posted:

Some have said this is non-high school related but I believe it is a life lesson to all of us and one that we can use with our high schoolers and those we coach.  He is not the first and won't be the last that lost something big because of mistakes he made, whether he did the crime at the time or whether he was talked into admitting he did it by his parents.  Which I still hold is unfathomable.  If he actually did not do it he should separate himself from them because they ruined his life.  Look for the lawyers contacting him to sue them.

I know of several good players that should have gotten drafted, several out of high school and at least two this year, that did not because of off the field issues.  They would not have been first rounders but should have been up there.  It is a constant reminder to all high schoolers that your actions will follow you and sometimes, not always, but sometimes will cost you much, sometimes even money.

We live in a society where people say actions should not be held against you, especially as a teenager.  I disagree.  The sin can be forgiven but there still has to be punishment.  The two are not the same.  The Bible is even clear through many stories of people that God forgave but still had to face the punishment which sometimes comes years later.  Just a reminder to our teenagers.  Be careful what you do.  Five seconds of stupidity can cost you millions.  I know a young man that if he could take back one stupid decision today would because that one stupid decision cost him being drafted over the past couple of days.

There is something wrong going on. Two black college football players get caught stealing and kicked off the team. Two white baseball players the same, one becomes a high round draft pick. 

I agree with everything you have said, but when young adults hear these stories, do they actually think twice about the consequences?

I just know that I told my kids if they ever got in real trouble they better watch out because I will be biggest fear. It worked.

Last edited by TPM