Skip to main content

Reply to "The elephant in the room returns"

CaCO3Girl posted:
Midlo Dad posted:

I think if I were him, I would simply say this: 

"That has all been reported on, the truth is fully out, and I've said all that I can say about it.  I accepted my punishment.  But nothing new has happened.  There is nothing to add to the record.  You certainly may reprint what has been printed before if you like, but there's no reason to keep talking about it, because  there's really nothing I can add.  I'm here to play baseball, just like any other ex-con who needs a job as a way to make a living.  All I want is a chance to earn my keep, and prove that I can be a better person."

Now, I wouldn't let him near MY children.  But in an era when we're being told it's wrong even to ask job applicants if they've ever been convicted of a felony ("ban the box" that is typically to be checked or not checked), we need to decide how we really feel about ex-cons.  Are we really trying to give them a fresh start?  Or is that all BS?

It appears to me our judicial system needs to be revamped to include escalation.  First time offender gets 6 months, second time offender gets 3 years, 3+ time  10+ years.  This is the only way us as a society can say "they did their time".  I don't understand why a drunk driver can get 5 DUI's and still have his license.  The penalty should fit the crime, if the crime is repeated it should be a stiffer penalty. If the penalties were stiffer one would HOPE they would happen less.  Do you take that risk of driving buzzed if you know you will be without your license for 5 years?

Yep, yes you do, if you are an addict.