Skip to main content

Reply to "The elephant in the room returns"

CaCO3Girl posted:
RJM posted:
 CaCO3Girl posted:
RJM posted:
Iowamom23 posted:

At risk of igniting another debate, I'm just going to say this. He served his sentence. He continues to suffer the consequences. Let him find what success he can.

What is he doing to rehab his image? Doing something in the community makes him a reformed person. It gives MLB a changed image to sell. Not everyone will accept it. But doing nothing keeps him the baseball player who ...

What can he do to rehab his image?  

He can’t donate money, he didn’t get a contract. 

He can’t work with kids.

I don’t think even habitat for humanity would want him working on a house of theirs.

What charity is going to put him front and center?

I also am not wanting to start another debate but either the kid did his time OR the kid actually was railroaded when he was 15, didn’t actually do anything, and has still paid his time.

He doesn’t have to be front and center of any charity. All he has to do is find a cause where a group needs help and make a difference. Anyone involved in any charity at any level makes a difference.

Then a MLB team can sign him and say despite his past problems he been a model citizen lately including helping (whatever charity) in his free time. Helping disabled or homeless veterans would be a good cause where he wouldn’t be a risk.

With how polarized this topic has been on here I don’t see a veteran taking kindly to a convicted chikd molester.  Let’s say he did sneak in there.  He reports back he’s spent 100 hours with disabled vets, what do you think said org would say?  Probably along the lines of “we will have to do better background checks on our volenteers.  We deeply regret subjecting the vets to this type of person, we do not support him”...I can’t see it going well

There's an underlying issue here we haven't quite exposed, but are getting close.

He doesn't have an image to rehabilitate. His public image is because of his status as convicted sex offender. While there have been people accused and/or convicted of similar things that have (at least partially) recovered in the eyes of the public, they had a persona prior to that and had social capital upon which to build. He doesn't have that. I may be losing my memory in my somewhat-old age, but I cannot think of anyone in recent years who became famous as a sex offender and then ingratiated themselves to the public. He would not be known outside of a small baseball circle if it wasn't for this issue.