Skip to main content

Reply to "The elusive full ride"

@PABaseball posted:

I have two in college ball. The oldest at a P5, the youngest at a mid major in a decent conference.

The youngest had a few 25-30% P5 offers. They liked him, they didn't love him. They weren't super responsive all the time, they weren't in any rush to get him on campus to show him around, they were making the bare minimum investment. A lot of "we'll see" or "we'll be in touch"

He had a lot of offers from competitive mid majors and lower end D1s in the 80-100% range. This told me this was the level that was more appropriate for him.

You are what the market tells you you are. If you were truly a P5 players, you'd have P5s fighting over you. If you're a solid mid major player you'll have mid majors trying to outbid each other and maybe a few higher level schools throw their hat in the ring. If you're a fringe D1 player with walk on D1 opportunities and a bunch of D2s/D3s that love you, you'll be the first one cut at the D1.

I saw firsthand how difficult it was for the oldest at the P5 and he was a much more polished HS player with better stuff. The youngest was bigger but weaker, threw harder but had less control and inconsistent secondary pitches. I think he'll be the better player by the time it's said and done but if he went to a P5 that offered the bare minimum odds are he would've been towards the end of the roster, getting buried for meaningful instruction and most likely cut if he didn't start producing right away.

He is thriving with all the attention he is getting at his current school. Will most likely be a top 5 pitcher as a freshman. Doubt he'll crack the rotation but coming out of the pen on a Friday/Saturday is great compared to where he could have been if his ego made the decision instead of his brain. When they have a lot invested in you, they really invest.

Thank you. This is the conversation we are currently having. What he wants and what I think is best may not align. Really trying hard to help a young kid see the big picture- playing time, confidence, and finances. His grades are good in all honors and AP classes. Not valedictorian good but top 20% of his class with challenging courses. He does understand academics come first and is prioritizing that for recruiting. I just worry this spring/ summer are going to hit like a mac truck and want to be sure we know what to expect. I’m sure my kid would like to turn his talent into professional ball. Wouldn’t all kids? I would like him to leverage his talent into a loan free college education. We’ll pitch in financially, but between academics and athletics we want to see him leave school with a 0 debt degree. To me, that is the dream.