Skip to main content

Reply to "The elusive full ride"

@TPM posted:

In D1 baseball there is no such thing as a full ride. 11.7 among 27, 25% minimum, if fully funded is not easy to divide up.

Perhaps, a lower D1 ranked program may give up more to get a better prospect, but why would the player consider such a move?

Coaches usually don't recruit like that. They have to figure out how to best spend the money that they have to win games. That player may be worth one win a week if a starter and as mentioned may get 2,3  transfers for his scholarship.

If you are looking to cut costs on attending college, your son might strongly consider another option, D3 perhaps or a private D1 that awards grants and the player is then considered a walk on.

While the full ride is uncommon and rare, it does exist.

11.7 divided by 27 scholarship players comes out to roughly 43% per player. With all the 25% offers, odds are each team is going to have a few guys in a 75-100% range.

3 players with 25% offers opens up another nearly another 60% points. For every 3 guys at 25% you can put one on a full ride.

Basically for every 25% guy you have an additional 18% to offer to a player who was already allotted 43%.

If my math is wrong please don't crucify me in the replies. Math was never my strong suit