Skip to main content

Reply to "The elusive full ride"

@PitchingFan posted:

The ones bashing on these tournaments are the ones that their kid did not get offered after these tournaments. For the rest of us, that saw PG and PBR major tournaments as a major force in our sons recruiting we understand they were the major point.  I cannot imagine top players not going to these tournaments. But as has been said on here many times for the middle to lower college prospect. These may not be the Place.    

The issue, as I see it, is that the overall pool of talent has been watered down to the point that the best pitchers hardly face the best hitters. So coaches rarely get to see the matchups that mean the most. There are too many marginal players at these events. Another problem is that many parents think their son will be discovered at a big national event. While this is possible it’s not likely. Coaches/scouts show up with a list of players to watch and that’s who they focus on. Occasionally another player will do something that turns heads and gets something out of it. But that is also rare. So (I believe) that you hear more negative about the big national events because too many parents/players go into them with expectations that are unrealistic. Then when they play as well as they are capable and nothing happens they are extremely disappointed. The overwhelming majority of players in big national events get nothing out of them in terms of recruiting exposure. And then they relate their experience to anyone willing to listen.