Skip to main content

Reply to "The elusive full ride"

@atlnon posted:

The angst over the current size of these events is that it results in a lot of people bashing these events bec they didn't get the results they were looking for (getting noticed and offers).  The marketing of these events lead to unrealistic expectations to the "teams that are just there to fund the events".  The thought being thrown around is to skip the 2 or 3 pool play games that are of no value (legit teams being pitted against teams that are just there to fund the events).  Go straight to the legit primetime games.

I would add Jupiter and Ft Myers to the list of PG events that are legit.  I believe for Jupiter, a team has to still earn their berth, right?  My son caught the interest of the mid major school he ended up committing to in Jupiter facing and catching really good 90+ mph pitching.

There is a lot of truth in this post.   My son has/had one D1 offer, and it came as a result of his performance at Jupiter Florida.   Had he not attended that event then I am 100% certain he would have never been on the radar of the college that he committed to.   So, it's hard for me to agree with those that believe that the big national tournaments have no value.  But, I do agree that they don't have value for everyone.   Perfect game has a Showcase or tournament just about every other weekend if not every weekend.  The majority of those events have no real benefit to player recruitment.  Coaches don't go and scout those events routinely.  They are simply tournaments that give players and opportunity to play, get reps etc... and there is value in that, but not value for recruiting purposes in my opinion. 

The programs that I would list as being the most important from my observation and experience are Perfect Game Jr. National Showcase, PBR national tournament in Lake Point Georgia, WWBA Perfect Game National Championship, WWBA Perfect Game Jr. National Championship in Ft Myers, and the WWBA National Championship in Jupiter. 

I list these events because I simply noticed that a) it seems a ton of college scouts attend these events, and more importantly b) most if not all of the kids I know that committed to D1 programs this past year did so almost immediately following these events.