Skip to main content

Reply to "The elusive full ride"

@25Dad posted:

My son has played on essentially a "funding" (I have no issue with this term) team for the big PBR and PG tourneys in GA.  Limited expectation to get out of pool play, and certainly no expectation of having any playoff round success.  Go .500 or better in pool play and generally call it a worthwhile trip.  Kids have a blast socially, compete pretty well in a couple games, usually get humbled in one, and perhaps humble another team every once in a while.  The travel team sets expectations in line with these team based outcomes.

As for individual recruiting, these tournaments were still instrumental for my son.  Candidly, my son had something to "showcase" which is most instrumental. The ability to be seen by recruiters as a pitcher while on one of these "funding" teams is certainly easier than a position player.  PBR having the bulk of games at Lakepoint is also a benefit over the dispersion of PG.  Having your coach align your starting pitching spot with in a good time slot and location (Lakepoint or East Cobb game) is critical.  Doing the leg work both in advance of tournament (by player) and at the tournament (travel coach walking around the complex giving coaches the heads up about a potential recruit) is beneficial.  If you can give these recruiters two looks in back to back weeks/tournaments, even better.  And don't forget, these recruiters are like fishermen.  A few gathered in a spot gets the attention of all the others.

So, the big tournaments were legit for my son even though he played for a "funding" team.  While my son is a '25, his team is a '24 team so they will actually not be heading back this summer. Focus on more regional tournaments in which the recruiters are more aligned with both a recruiting timeline and playing level with the bulk of the team (which I think is the right decision for a '24 team).

/\ /\  As far as showcase tournaments go, this guy gets it.  The issues being put forth unfortunately just boil down to unrealistic expectations for some.

At the big tournaments the coaches/scouts are there, and the talent they want to see is there.  Are there some games at PG and Bullpen events played away from the spotlight?  Yes.  Last summer I watched a pitcher going to a Mid-Major D1 absolutely demoralize multiple teams away from the main event locations.  Why?  Because he wanted to go to a smaller, closer school where he was already committed, and he enjoyed being around his friends on the team.  The coach had opportunities to show other pitchers at the main locations, including our son.   

The inclusion of the 'funding teams' at the big events means the chance and opportunity are there for more players.  But ultimately the players and their families still bear the responsibility of being realistic going into the events... there's enough information out there to help people level-set expectations.

Anyhow... full ride tuition scholarships do exist... edited for clarity. 

Last edited by edwarday