Skip to main content

Reply to "The elusive full ride"

How many players attend tournaments/showcases designed for D1 recruits unknown, throw spaghetti off the wall to see what sticks and it works? I believe the biggest disappointment with these D1 tournaments is the players and families who attend and don’t understand the kid is not a D1 prospect.

A friend complained repeatedly her son’s team never saw a college scout. And they played on out of the way fields. It was because it was a roster of future D3 players. If you don’t live in the area it’s expensive to attend. My son was covered by the team. I spent a lot of money getting there, renting a car and staying in GA and FL for back to back PG tournaments.

Another thing is if you’re there hoping to be discovered how does a player distinguish himself from a thousand other players? The top two hundred players can do it. But, everyone already knows who they are. On any given day #500 prospect doesn’t look much different than #900. There’s a lot of talent at these tournaments.

This is why I so often speak about a player having an advocate whether it’s the travel team coaching staff or academy instructor who knows people in the game. When my son’s team attended events the calls to college coaches had been made by the travel coaches. Based on perceived fit the travel coaches filled in the colleges coaches which players on their team were likely to be seen as potential fits for their program. The players knew what college programs would be at their games watching them.

Throwing spaghetti off the wall to see what sticks isn’t a plan.

Last edited by RJM